Press and Communications Manager
The Irish Pharmacy Union (IPU) is the representative and professional body for community pharmacists in Ireland, with a current membership of over 2,200 pharmacists and representing 95% of community pharmacies countrywide. Established more than 40 years ago, the IPU has been to the forefront in protecting, promoting and strengthening the profession ever since as the authoritative voice of community pharmacy. The IPU provides a single unified voice for the pharmacy profession; performs a vital role in supporting member pharmacists’ professional development through education and training for pharmacists and their teams; and improves the circumstances of patients by advocating for better access to healthcare through extended professional roles for pharmacists in the community.
As Press and Communications Manager, you will be responsible for supporting our communications and influencing agendas, driving awareness of the role, position and voice of community pharmacy. The role holder will use exemplar communications skills to develop and implement the IPU’s communications and public relations strategies and plans.
The successful candidate will have a relevant experience working in a communications role and can demonstrate strong skills across traditional print and broadcast media as well as online channels such as social media and website. The role holder will be responsible for managing and coordinating all IPU publications, communications and our member events. Knowledge and understanding of the healthcare environment would be an advantage.
- Develop and implement a communications and PR strategy to promote the role and position of community pharmacy at the centre of primary care and to ensure that the community pharmacists’ voice is heard on issues of relevance to pharmacy.
- As press officer and point of contact for media, increase media coverage by managing and responding to enquiries and liaising with and briefing IPU management and spokespersons.
- Manage IPU relationship with communications agencies and media partners and maintain relationships with key stakeholders.
- Develop and implement the IPU advertising strategy, identifying key messages and organising creative design and media space.
- Develop communications and engagement strategies and write compelling copy to increase awareness, usage and advocacy of the IPU’s activities.
- Manage the IPU website, including the development of content, media and digital assets.
- As brand guardian, ensure IPU branding and messaging is consistent across all IPU communications, publications and materials.
- Manage and plan monthly publication of the IPU Review – planning and sourcing content and advertising as well as overseeing production and distribution of the magazine.
- Produce the IPU Annual Report.
- Track, measure, analyse and report on the effectiveness and efficiency of all communications and make recommendations to drive continuous improvement.
- Plan and manage the events programme, including the IPU annual conference.
- Any other task assigned as required from time to time.
Required Skills and Experience
The successful candidate must demonstrate an interest and commitment to the mission and objectives of the IPU.
- Proven track record of developing and implementing impactful communications.
- A strong record of achieving excellent media results with evidence of established media relationships, preferably in health-related areas.
- Excellent written, presentation and verbal communication skills, an ability to convey complex information in a user-friendly way, and excellent proof-reading skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Experience producing professional publications.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work to strict deadlines.
- Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a small team.
- Ability to inspire and influence people at all levels in the organisation, gain the confidence of colleagues and build understanding of communications best practice.
- Experience in managing advertising campaigns.
- Experience in event management and project management including strong planning and prioritisation skills and a track record in sourcing advertising and sponsorship.
- Budget management experience.
- Experience of website management, particularly knowledge of WordPress.
- Ability to handle sensitive information while maintaining confidentiality.
Please apply here.